MVP stands for Minimum Viable Product. It’s the core of your product. A way to see if you can sell “just” this product without all the nice-to-haves, to see if you might have a viable product, ie. business.
This means you don’t have to spend months developing your product without knowing if your business is viable, but have a MVP ready in a really short time period. Thus reduce the costs significantly. Read our 8 rules to ship a Rails SaaS MVP.
Tell us about your( future) product
How does it work?
Buying your first SaaS MVP is really quite simple. Let’s go over each step.
- You fill in the form below
- We will get back to you within 2 business days with:
- an evaluation of what your MVP should include and not, based on your product description and taking into consideration our 5+ years of building and running successful SaaS products
- if we want to take on building your product, a link to book a quick one-on-one meeting to go over the details
- If you agree with the timeframe and the terms, proceed with an initial payment of 50% of the one-time price
- While developing your MVP, you get regular updates
- Some time is reserved to make final tweaks and adjustments
Our SaaS MVPs come with all standard features you might expect. But at the same time many common features are left out on purpose as well. After many years of experience leaving out certain features has proven to help you stay focussed. Not just in the short run (while you get product market fit), but also in the longer run. Example: adding a dark theme to your app means tweaking and changing the UI for every new feature you add. Twice the work!
Included in every MVP
- Core features for your MVP
- Basic (custom) authentication (email + password)
- Payments/billing via Stripe Checkout and their Customer Portal
- Neutral UI (designed with the latest TailwindCSS)
What’s not included
- Secondary authentication features (confirmation, password reset, 2fa, etc. are not needed for your MVP)
- Features not related to your core feature set (as agreed upon beforehand)
- Custom Stripe billing set up (Stripe’s lowcode solution is really good)
- Admin area (you can use the console first)
- Unrelated MVP resources, eg. marketing site, blog, social media profiles, email templates
- Hosting of the app and associated services
Who is it for?
These SaaS MVPs are best suited for:
- marketers with enough coding skills “to be dangerous”
- product people without coding skills but are willing to hire a developer to improve the MVP
- people who just started developing and want to have a kickstart with their product
- a combination of all the above…
Not sure if you are a good fit? Get in touch.
The Tech stack
All MVPs are built with Ruby on Rails 7. It’s the framework to quickly develop any modern web SaaS. Well-known companies using Rails: Basecamp, Hey, Shopify and GitHub. So Rails is not just perfect for the MVP, but perfect way beyond! What’s more is that there are literally thousands of articles on common issues and best practices, gems to utilize and many developers available with years of real experience.
Other tech details:
- Esbuild (via jsbundling-rails)
- TailwindCSS (via css-bundling-rails)
- Hotwire (Turbo + Stimulus)
This stack is non-negotiable. Best Rails practices are in use. And lastly: only when absolutely necessary is a minimal amount of custom JS used (via Stimulus). After all: the more moving elements, the more can break. We want a solid SaaS!
What are the costs of running these MVPs?
Any MVP can initially run on a Heroku hobby web dyno. That’s $7 per month. As you grow you might need to increase the CPU and memory. Also worker dynos (for background jobs) might be needed. Other costs might include: domain name, transactional emails, etc. Every MVP will be structured in such way that costs will be really low in the initial months.
You can always choose other PaaS platforms to host your app.
From the initial talk and the go-ahead to a functional app running on Heroku costs between $2,500 - $10,000. Prices are USD. Pay less once to get your MVP live, but pay a higher percentage over your profit. Get in touch for more details.
|One-time price||Monthly Profit Share|
Tell us about your (future) product
Ready to run your own successful SaaS? Please fill in the form and we’ll get back to you with a proposed MVP (based on our experience we strip your product idea to its bare minimum) and provide you with a quote and the procedure going forward. Please check our availability, it’s first come, first serve.